End of Service for VGN EL-2B Streamliners

Sun Oct 21 09:42:39 EDT 2012

Sorry Stewart, those are the EL-C class that began delivery in 1956.
One of those also survives in the Transportation Museum in Roanoke,
VGN 135, which has the distinction of being the only unit to actually
be painted in all 5 roads scheme, as it was the only one repainted to
N&W because of wreck damage. Jeff Sanders (see below) was one of the
primary people responsible for that unit being the one that was saved
and selected for Roanoke.

Back to the question of the EL-2B service life. They did indeed serve
right up to the end of VGN electrification in June 1962. One unit had
been separated into two single units, with one serving as the
Whitethorne pusher. The other unit, I am not sure if it was used on
Clarks Gap or not, but it appears in photos, stored, and appeared to
have been for some time at Mullens. There was an entire series of 35mm
negatives shot by an N&W photographer of the last two days of
operation, more or less, a casual documentation. Highly unusual for
the time that they would use 35mm, as that was certainly not a
standard for them, it tells me they were not that serious about the
matter, that someone had told them to go and get some pictures, there
were also some family type photos on the end or beginning of the roll.
There was also at least one EL-C stored, I suspect it and the EL-2B
were being used for parts to keep the other units running as long as
they could.

I honestly don't think the EL-2Bs were on the property for very long
after retirement. A file on electrification talks about the high
maintenance costs of these units in 1960-61 and their generally aged
condition, which certainly would hasten their retirement and reduce
their marketability. I think N&W might have tried to market them, but
the demand for electrics was very limited. Even with the bargain price
it took a good while for the New Haven to purchase the EL-Cs, which
were much newer, and far better condition.

Ken Miller