Last N&W Steam at Monroe

Mon Nov 5 20:47:15 EST 2012

Jim and knowledgeable others please:

Okay then, when was the LAST N&W steam changed at Monroe for those
thru trains? We've had some of this discussion at the Archives
previously without resolution but maybe we can figure it out now. Any
realistic ideas? Was it at the end of 1957 when the J class was
finally bumped off the Bristol- Roanoke-Lynchburg-Norfolk trains or
was it earlier?

We know Southern ended steam in the region in late 1952 or early 1953
and N&W did not permit the diesels onto its line until at least .....
1955 (?) or was it later.

Thanks for the discussions.

Bob Cohen