Living Through the Advent of the Information Age

Sun Nov 25 03:00:15 EST 2012

From: "James Foley" <james.foley at att.net>
To: pravoslavna at comcast.net
Cc: "f scheer" <f_scheer at yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:55:17 PM
Subject: Re: Living Through the Advent of the Information Age

Abram, Frank
I went to Pot Yd in 65 and remember the transition well since we had all of the teletype circuits for each of the tenant lines. Through each of them we could access the entire North American Continent (USA-CAN-MEX) RR's that had teletype joint connections using the inter-carrier CDC's
PRR was using the old Freiden Card system, which when punched were inserted inside the folded waybill and went with the train. They were a salmon color as I recall. When cards were inserted into a teletype reader they would punch out the One Line data for consisting. When inserted into anothre reader they would punch ou the 1-2-3 line data for car records etc
Wondering if either of you have a copy of the PRR or PC "CDC" (Call Directing Code) book the PRR telegraph and yard offices used which also had all of the codes for Psgr Ops ?? I remember seeing teletypes of tain consist around Xmas time for the mail and express trains that came off of the NH via Hell Gate going to the RF&P and Sou Ry and the solid REA express trains out of PXT - REA Term at Sunny SIde Yards
Jim Foley