N&W model steam engine

Tue Nov 27 17:42:49 EST 2012

What you are describing sounds like the Proto version of the USRA 2-8-8-2 as
originally delivered in 1919. N&W 2009 was class Y3 and looked like this until
the late 1920's, when it got a bigger tender, a feedwater heater, and air pumps
moved to the right side. Those "2 sets of 4 cylinders on the face" you describe
are the cross compound air compressors. When they were moved to the right side,
the "face" got a round door and the locomoive looked very much like the Y3a you
said you have. When originally built, the Y3a had the compressors on the front
(face), and looked very much like your 2009 except for a larger tender. It too
was rebuilt in the late 1920's to its present appearance.

Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Tue, November 27, 2012 3:26:23 PM
Subject: N&W model steam engine

Gentlemen,
I have picked up a N&W steam engine with the number 2009 on it. It is a 2-8-8-2
with number boards up by the bell. I don’t know just what series this engine is
and was wondering if it was one at all.
I have a Y3a and a Y6b and the engine doesn’t resemble either one. There are 2
sets of 4 cylinders on the face.
The model was made by Life-Like in the Proto 2000 Heritage Series.
Can anyone tell anything about this engine?
Thank you very much.
Macdonald, RB
mac at macdonald-studios.com