Boaz siding

Tue Dec 11 08:58:50 EST 2012

I'd venture a guess that Boaz siding was removed shortly after the 1959 acquisition of the Virginian. At that point there was no need for the N&W to operate loaded coal trains over Blue Ridge Grade since they could now utilize the former Virginian mainline east of Roanoke with the new (at the time) connection at Abilene.

To the best of my knowledge, Tinker Creek Connection was also constructed immediately following the N&W/VGN merger.

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 12:27:53 PM
Subject: RE: Boaz siding

Hey Bruce,

I guess that wasn't you that went with me so many years ago (1980?) to look
for Boaz and with some 1950's photos, found features marking both ends of
the spur. The west end of track was near the east end of a short 3/4
degree right curve in the main and the switch was at Bridge #96, a
glorified culvert distinguished by steel pipe handrailing (as of 1980) just
west of MP N254. Recently published photos more clearly show the point of
switch virtually on the bridge. I remember marveling at just how much the
site had been sanitized.

Anyone know when the spur was taken out of service? Did it ever see diesel
pushers or were they put on in Roanoke? The timing would have to depend on
the end of steam and EB tonnage being diverted to the VGN side (crossover
installs at Kellysville or Tinker Creek and Abilene)(?).

Grant Carpenter