Boaz siding

Sat Dec 22 10:18:41 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Grant wrote:

> Hey Bruce,

> I guess that wasn't you that went with me so many years ago (1980?) to look

> for Boaz . . .

No, I missed that one. The ones I do remember are a couple where the
"Research Department" had topo maps that showed "the road runs right along
side the tracks" without showing enough contour lines that gave the true
picture of the vertical distance . . .

As to Boaz, I checked out and scanned some of the aerial photos in the
Virginia Tech library that shows that area. One set of images is from 1937
and the other is from 1953. The 1937 view is inconclusive, the the 1953 *may
* show an engine sitting in the siding. The photos are about 10 x 10 (not
the larger sheets that are available for Montgomery County) and I scan them
with a resolution of 2000 on an older HP scanner. The resolution is limited
more by the print than the scanner or PhotoShop. At any rate, see
http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/boaz.html for the images.

While I was at it, I built a composite from five 1953 photos to show
Roanoke from the West End to Boaz and as far south as the American Viscose
plant, with the N&W as the center of the view. See
http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/aerials/index.html to check it out. I
also have the large TIF images available for those who might be interested
in large files. Let me know.

Bruce in Blacksburg
Webmaster, Frograil Rail Tours
www.frograil.com