Mystery Picture

Thu Dec 27 12:51:22 EST 2012

I was over at my son's house on Christmas Eve and went downstairs
to see his tree. While there, I noticed he had a picture of a train
hanging over his fireplace mantle. The room was kind of dark and there
were some tall decorations on the mantle hiding some of the picture. As
I looked at the picture, it seemed that I somehow should know where it
was taken.
I went closer trying to recognize the location but it didn't hit me
at first. It seemed familiar, but, I just couldn't place the location. I
then got involved in conversation with my son and other family members,
but, I kept getting drawn back to the picture. I moved in closer and
removed some of the decorations that were obscuring the locomotive.
That's when it hit me... this photo has been printed in reverse. The
road number was wrong (5123), plus, the throttle linkage and air pumps
were on the wrong side.

I then asked my son if he had a mirror where we could look at the
picture in reverse. He did have a large wall mirror close by, so, we
took the picture down. As I held the picture in front of the mirror, it
hit me like a ton of bricks! This picture was taken about three quarters
of a mile north of the station at Cloverdale, Va.

What a find! But who and why did someone print the photo in reverse
and go to the trouble of renumbering the engine and re-lettering the
tender? My son said that his father in law had given him the picture and
that it was a copy of the same picture his father had at their old
home-place. His father in law said that someone had been able to scan
the photo and had copies made for him to give to several children.
Some of you may remember that years ago, Vanishing Vistas produced
some large format color post cards of N&W trains. They made one very
similar of a tank train just north of the siding at Cloverdale. For some
reason, I didn't buy it at the time. I tried to contact Vanishing Vistas
earlier this year, but, have heard nothing from them.
If any of you have any knowledge of the correct photo taken above
or where I might find a proper copy of the photo, I would like to hear
from you.

Jimmy Lisle