Thu Feb 7 11:41:02 EST 2013

Same here.

Frank Akers
www.theruralretreatdepot.com

________________________________
Sent: Thu, February 7, 2013 8:39:58 AM
Subject: Re: "Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

How can I obtain a copy of the photo of the Radford Dispatch Panel? Glad to
pay any costs involved.
Glenn Fisher
Cornwall PA

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:11 AM
To: NW Mailing List

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the Brethren and
Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a Happy Birthday card for Jim
Cosby, Friend of the Virginian Railway and Chairman of the Virginian Station
Restoration Committee.

We talked about last Sunday's Super Bowl and several of the Brethren agreed
that the Budweiser commercial was probably the best and the Go-Daddy was
probably the worse. The Brethren also liked the Paul Harvey farmer tribute from
Dodge Trucks. See we like other stuff too...

I reminded the Brethren about this weekend's Train Lover's Day at the Virginia
Museum of Transportation on Saturday and Sunday. We have our N&W Coach 512 back
in service and will give train rides both days on the 512, Devil's Lake Lounge
car and two cabooses behind our Alco T-6 #41. Come join us if you can.

Passed around for the Brethren to peruse was the March 2013 "Trains" magazine.
Most of this issue is devoted to "Steam is back! Norfolk Southern embraces its
roots" about the NS steam excursion program. The schedule for 2013 is now on
the NS web site, for a train near you pulled by steam. Also in this issue the
"Map of the Month" is Virginia's tidewater coal ports in 1954 and 2012. The
Brethren especially enjoyed looking at the Virginian Sewells Point 1954 part.
Wis Sowder who served there in 1954 as a clerk, pointed out the coal storage
portion and told us "I spend many a cold night walking this yard classifying
coal for the mix". Ken McLain who also worked there told stories of getting to
and from the facility. Landon Gregory pointed out on the map where the Yard
Office was located and his spot.

For Show and Tell, Landon Gregory brought a 2 foot by 3 foot framed color photo
of the 1958 Radford Division Dispatch Panel with Dispatchers Lucian Durham and
Basil Ramsey on duty. This beauty was taken by N&W photographers and given to
him by legendary Dispatcher Tommy Duncan. Landon said that the operator's
office "KD" was right next to the Dispatcher's office in the photo. This great
slice of Americana shows all the panels and items such as calendars, phones,
papers, etc. typical of a Dispatch Office of the era.

The Jewel from the Past, like one in Bill Daniel's Hamilton 950 23-jeweled
timepiece given to him by his father, George E. Daniel, Jr. VGN Carman at
Roanoke Yard (son of VGN Superintendent G. E. Daniel) is from September 28,
2006: "We discussed the old Jim Crow laws and how they affected operations on
the Virginian. 'Slick' Inge remembered changing the signs in coaches to
'Colored' when the passenger trains crossed the state line at Glen Lyn heading
east into Virginia. 'Slick' said he did not remember any problems concerning
the law. Rufus Wingfield said in the yard, he didn't recall having any
incidents either. Landon Gregory, VGN Operator said he knew of no reported
accounts of violence or other problems relating to the laws".

Then there's this from our friend Bob Cohen: TEXTING CODE FOR SENIORS:
ATD: At the Doctor's; BFF: Best friend's funeral; BTW: Bring the wheelchair;
BYOT: Bring your own teeth; CBM: Covered by Medicare; DWI: Driving while
incontinent; FWIW: Forgot where I was; HGBM: Had good bowl movement; LMDO:
Laughing my dentures out; TOT: Texting on Toilet and my favorite WAITT: Who am I
talking to?

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon