Coal mine photo

Mon Mar 4 08:22:49 EST 2013

That is Pocahontas Colliery Mine No. 31 (also referred to as Amonate Mine
No. 31) located on the Beech Creek Fork Spur off of N&W's Dry Fork. The
photograph is circa 1955 after the plant had been modernized. The round disk
is a settling pond for coal refuse from the coal preparation plant.

NWHS's new book, "Dry Fork - Norfolk & Western Branch Line," includes the
history of the mine and the Beech Creek Fork Spur as well as some of the
detailed N&W track drawings use to construct the spur. The book should be
available in mid-to-late April.

Alex Schust