N&W Boxcar pre-1963 paint scheme question

Wed Mar 13 13:05:12 EDT 2013

I was going to opt-out of this discussion, but since it's an issue about
which I feel strongly, I'm going to wade in anyway.

I long ago decided that there should be a "Ten Commandments of
Nit-picking". I never quite got anywhere near ten (probably fortunately), but here
are what I did promulgate -
- If the person or company did the best they could with the information
available, or ought to have been available, to them, cut them some slack.
- If reasonably they could have done better, "comment", but remember that
they run a business, and maximizing their sales potential is a critical
consideration.
- Vote with your pocket book/credit card. If the error offends you, don't
buy it.

We all "know" that maximizing sales potential was "old Athearn's" #1
consideration. We all know the 40 ft. boxcar underframe was mirror image of
what it should have been; we know that was an ignorant error that should never
have happened; and we bought dozens of them anyway. Likewise on paint
schemes and road names that never quite existed - but had a good potential
market. My biggest bone to pick with "old Athearn" was that they had the
resources to amass reference material comparable to what an individual could
reasonably collect - and appeared to have made a conscious decision not to.
But, I bought their stuff anyway.

There are lots of other examples. How many readily-available C&O diesel
models had the correct five-chime horn? Close enough to zilch. So, I
stocked up on the Cal-Scale castings and tubes of "hole filler" and bottles of
Enchantment Blue and went to work. No big deal.

Yeah, there's a point to this rambling. Thanks for bearing with me.

As others have already said, the suppliers run a business, and their
resources vary. Some go to the trouble of getting it right, and some don't take
the time. Pointing fingers is only useful to alert people of the more
egregious errors, but recognize that there may be a legitimate - or at least
excusable - reason.

And, remember, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." A
polite "suggestion" may well get a lot more affirmative response than a
high-volume complaint.

Regards,

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 3/13/2013 12:37:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,