N&W Concrete Water Tanks

Mon Jun 3 18:32:19 EDT 2013

The tank at Wilcoe WV was still there a couple years ago

Larry Evans
Kenova, WV
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 8:57 AM
Subject: N&W Concrete Water Tanks

Hello All,

I am working on a project on the historical evolution of water purification techniques by chemists and railroad personnel in the early to mid 20th century. In addition I am also looking at the architectural changes in railroad water tank design and construction in wood and steel (and hopefully concrete). Does anyone know if any of the N&W concrete tanks are still standing and could be studied and photographed? In the past I have studied photos of some of these unique structures in the N&W archives. Any information about concrete structures that are still trackside would be greatly appreciated.

Contact me either through this list-serve or off list if you like.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald

Department of History and Art History
George Mason University