N&W Concrete Water Tanks

Tue Jun 4 08:59:41 EDT 2013

Wilcoe water tank on March 28, 2012. Alex Schust

Moderator:
http://nwhs.org/wiki/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=316

*Sent:* Monday, June 03, 2013 6:32 PM
*To:* NW Mailing List
*Subject:* Re: N&W Concrete Water Tanks

The tank at Wilcoe WV was still there a couple years ago

Larry Evans

Kenova, WV

*Sent:* Monday, June 03, 2013 8:57 AM

*Subject:* N&W Concrete Water Tanks

Hello All,

I am working on a project on the historical evolution of water purification
techniques by chemists and railroad personnel in the early to mid
20thcentury. In addition I am also looking at the architectural
changes in
railroad water tank design and construction in wood and steel (and
hopefully concrete). Does anyone know if any of the N&W concrete tanks are
still standing and could be studied and photographed? In the past I have
studied photos of some of these unique structures in the N&W archives. Any
information about concrete structures that are still trackside would be
greatly appreciated.

Contact me either through this list-serve or off list if you like.

Gerard

Gerard J. Fitzgerald

Department of History and Art History
George Mason University