"Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren" by Skip Salmon

Thu Jun 13 11:51:36 EDT 2013

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with eight of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. I told the Brethren about the N&W
(and VGN) Historical Society Convention now under way at Twin Falls Resort
State Park near Mullens. It is called "Mountain Hollers and Coal Haulers,
N&WHS 2013 Convention". Russell McDaniel, 91 year old patriarch of the
Virginian Brethren, served as General Foreman in Mullens in the 1950s. Last
night I asked him what he remembered about being there. He recalled the VGN
electrics, steam and diesels coming in to replace the steam. He told me
"Mullens is the only place that I was assigned where my wife and family
cried, when we had to leave". Today I travel to Mullens for the convention.

For Show and Tell I took a Deepwater Railway Company document (C.T.36)given
to me by N&WHS member Charlie Schlotthober at the N&WHS Archives last week.
This May 1, 1907 document was a release signed by P. M. Foster in the
presence of D.P. Craig and T. R. Berkeley, after Mr. Foster broke his toe
when a draft timber fell on his foot. He settled with the Deepwater Railway
for the sum of $1.00.

>From last week I need to correct a typo. The famous person that Dr. Gibson

Davis brought into the world was the brother of DAN Blocker, who played
Hoss on the TV show Bonanza. Thanks for comments from Gary Pardue, Jim
Nichols, Frank Bongiovanni, John Hodson and H. Bundy. The rabbits were used
in pregnancy tests. H. Bundy responded with a comment about Mel Brook's
famous movie "Blazing Saddles" and actor David Huddleston, whose brother
worked at Roanoke Shops. I knew David's brother who worked in the
Upholstery Shop.

The Jewel from the Past is from March 29, 2007: "Stories were told of fast
trains and passenger specials. Landon 'Speedy' Gregory, who was a
Dispatcher at the time, told of his part after the wreck of the 611, with
Mr. Claytor at the throttle in the Great Dismal Swamp of Virginia. Seems
all phones were out at the wreck sight, and Landon and a supervisor in
Norfolk co-ordinated emergency response by company phones and radios".

Passed around for the Brethren to peruse was the Spring 2013 NRHS
"Bulletin". Most of the magazine is about the New River Gorge and
highlighted the Prince, WV area with some outstanding photos.

Raymond East, Russell McDaniel and Glen McLain talked about VGN Roundhouse
Foreman in Roanoke, "Knot" Thomas. As did a lot of workers those days,
"Knot" chewed tobacco while working. However "Knot's wife did not allow
tobacco chewing at home, and on one occasion, she visited the VGN
Roundhouse in Roanoke and when "Knot" saw her approaching, he had to
swallow his chew!"

Our good friend Bob Cohen sent me a list of punography. I showed the
Brethren and they picked their favorites. The winners are: "What does a
clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds". "Did you hear about
the cross-eyed teacher who lost her job because she couldn't control her
pupils?" My favorite: "I stayed up all night to see where the sun went.
Then it dawned on me."

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248 for V377,

Skip Salmon