NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 96, Issue 27

Sat Jun 22 20:06:54 EDT 2013

O.M.G.! That is 8 1/2 Street in Roanoke. That is my signal gang. I was the Lead Signalman on that job (detached to a flagging job near the house :-)). That mix and match CPL signal is temporary, but has a story behind it. There was a pair of cantilevers that were nearly touching each other there. Almost looked like a bridge signal. The M.o.W. crew picking up the track pannels where they put in the new switch for the new crossover was loading the last pannel with a huge front end loader and got a wee bit too close to the cantilever. Bent it around to a 45 degree angle to the track. Supervisors popped out of the ground like mushrooms! It was decided to finish off the cant. with the loader (It was doomed anyway). They were going to put up a temp. new signal, but it would have required extra wiring in the case. They located some junked CPL parts and made that signal, instead.

Larry Stanley
Lead Signalman