More Roanoke Junction pics

Sun Jun 30 07:11:55 EDT 2013

I did some checking on this. I found out that the N&W signals on the
new poles is a temporary arrangement. That's not uncommon in signal
work. I've had to do that type of thing a few times myself on
different types of projects.

But, when it comes time for the final cut in to take place, then the
new colorlight signals will replace them. At least, that's the
current plan, (which is always subject to change).

Changing signal aspect types isn't as simple as it may seem. It
requires bulletins and FRA testing to coincide with it. Temporary
signal changes helps to avoid those issues until everything else is
ready, then it can all be bulletined and cut in at once. And, with as
many routes as they have in that area, that is a daunting task. I
think it took us nearly a week to retest all the routes after the
derailment a couple of years ago.

Ben Blevins
Lead Signalman