Control points, controlled signals and intermediate signals

Mon Aug 19 17:43:27 EDT 2013

Home signal is typically at a Control Point BUT not always. Some are
automatic signals. A Home signal displaying Red can not be passed
without permission by the dispatcher (talked by). A non-home signal
displaying red is a 'Stop and Proceed" or 'Restricting" it depends on
the era. Stop and Proceed, the train must stop and then may proceed at
restricted speed. With a Restricting signal the train may pass it with
out stopping but at restricted speed. Examples of Intermediate Home
signals are the signals on either side of Elkhorn tunnel.

All Interlockinga are Control Points but not all Control Points are
Interlockings. A Control Point is a Dispatcher controlled signal, an
interlocking is a control point which has more then one route available
(end of Siding, Crossover, etc), a non-interlocking Control Point is a
Hold out. An example of a line with such is the old Punkin Vine, an
example of a Hold Out Control Point would be Rockey Mount. Where there
is no siding or alternate route, but there is a Control Point. I believe
the Control Point term has come into use thanks to the old Conrail
territory where Controlled Signals were called CP-5 (Control Point at
MP5) CP-10 (MP10) etc.

Intermediate Signals are signals between Distant signals. A distant
signal is the 'approach' signal to a control point. Example. At Sampson,
if you are coming south and are to take the Siding you would get an
Approach Diverging at 132.1 (I think that's right) 132.1 is the Distant
signal to Sampson. then at 128.? you have the Distant signal to Lynnwood.

Jimmy, Ben, Y'all chime in here. I know I got something wrong.

Nathan

Nathan Simmons
trainman51 at gmail.com
http://www.t-51.org