Control points, controlled signals and intermediate signals

Tue Aug 20 04:43:45 EDT 2013

On 8/19/2013 7:55 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Nathan,

> All of the signals between Sampson and Lynnwood, just like those

> between Calera and Glasgow et. al., are intermediate signals. They are

> not controlled by the dispatcher, only by the signal aspect ahead.

> Jimmy

Excuse me, that should read/"*just like those between Solitude and
Glasgow et. al., are intermediate signals.*"/ Sorry if I confused
anyone there.

Jim & Lynn,
Signals are not nearly as hard to understand as you are trying to
make them. It is just a simple progression from one to another. You run
on a Clear (at prescribed speed) until you get an Approach (prepared to
stop at the next signal. If exceeding medium speed imediately reduce to
that speed), then you get a Restricting (proceed at restricted speed [a
speed that will permit stopping short of a train, engine or obstruction,
watching out for a broken rail and not to exceed 15 mph]). You run on a
Clear (prescribed speed) until you get an Approach Diverging (prepare to
take diverging route beyond next signal) , then you get a Diverging
Approach (proceed through turnout or turnouts at prescribed speed
preparing to stop at next signal), then you get a Stop (STOP). You run
on a Clear (prescribed speed) until you get an Advance Approach
(prepare to stop after second signal), then you get an Approach (prepare
to stop at next signal...), then you get a stop (STOP).
Then you grab your grip, swing down off of the engine, wipe the
sweat off of your brow and say "That wasn't so hard, was it?"

Jimmy Lisle