Control points, controlled signals and intermediate signals

Tue Aug 20 14:20:17 EDT 2013

For the engineer, the signal indicates the speed to
operate...really...period.
For us anaylizing everything it can clue/tell more about track
conditions, turnout settings and such.

A line such as the South Shore Line, electric running betwen South Bend
and Chicago, practically the whole line is "intermediate" signals,
automatic block signals, for turnouts.
They used train orders forever to govern movements, because of the
signals the orders were limited in instruction and use but they used radios.

They only recently centralized the system changing to new signals and
the now have full dispatcher control over the entire line. I don't know
if turnouts have been dispatcher controlled
yet, freight runs usually the crew runs out and manuall turns a turnout,
or it has spring switches.

A distant signal gives advance indication to the track condition ahead
(signal condition..speed to run) and often has 2 or 3 heads, or may have
a sign such as "D" that designates its a distant signal. It may or may
not be dispatcher controlled, depends on the railroad or conditions if
the dispatcher needs to throw that signal red for whatever reason.

The other point I think about is after any train passes these signals
its thrown red, block occupied. Technically you could have a series of
distant signals that would display appropriately like the immediate
distant signal is protected. (multiple blocks of 2 head signals capable
of displaying distant aspects).

Theres so many ways to look at signals its like art...

-Lynn-