"Pole and Paddle" semaphores

Fri Aug 23 13:25:32 EDT 2013

The main line was littered with short blocks from Welch crossover thru Farm
to Mohegan, but there was an unusual arrangement on the WB main east of the
junction. The WB home signal is on the west end of Welch Tunnel, a road
crossing crews called "Ice House" aka Slant St is on the east end, and the
tunnel is about 1300 feet long. So there was a hold-out signal on the east
end to stop long WB movements short of the crossing. This evolved into a
favorite spot for heavy westbounds to stop, turn down retainers and inspect
their train after Eckman closed.

The approach signal for this signal would have been the home signal at
Welch crossover, which was capable of displaying "Advance Approach" on both
mains and served as the EB main approach signal for Tug.

Regarding the habit of installing more signals, I think you are referring
to a result of the Farm wreck (?).

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013

> Subject: Re: "Pole and Paddle" semaphores

> Harry -

> I spent time in Tug Tower but did not go into the field to see the near

signals. Did Bob Painter say in which direction that approach signal was,
and which home signal it ?protected?? Did Bob say whether the signal in
advance of that approach could display an ?advance approach?? There might
have been a short approach in the eastbound direction coming out of Farm.

> I know that they got in the habit of installing ?advance approach?

signals where such conditions obtained.
[...]

> EdK

> EdK:

> About signals -- R. D. Painter once told me that the distance from the

approach to the

> home signal at Tug was only about 1600 feet. Been by there several

times, but it never

> made an impression. Since you spent time at Tug, do you remember ?

Harry Bundy