AC Track, Polar Line ?

Mon Sep 9 15:00:58 EDT 2013

> If we could find the issue of Railway Signal Engineer covering N&W's

> installation of AC Track Circuits, it would no doubt contain the answers to

> all these questions. It would also tell us where the N&W built its own

> power generating facilities, and where it bought commercial AC.

A check of Google finds vols. 9-12 available through Google Books. The
Virginia Tech library has a pretty extensive collection of the publication,
also, but in hard copy so nailing down dates would make a search easier. At
any rate, here is some info about N&W signal construction and a listing of
all the construction in 1915.

January. 1917

RAILWA Y SIGNAL ENGINEER

pg. 31

CONSTRUCTION

THE NORFOLK & WESTERN has under consideration the installation of 204
three-position, upper-quadrant automatic signals on 107.7 miles of
single-track between E. Radford, Va., and Bristol, and eight
three-position, upper-quadrant signals on 5 miles of single-track between
Tug, W. Va., and Wilcoe.

---------------------
February, 1917

RAILWAY SIGNAL ENGINEER

pg. 61-62

CONSTRUCTION

THE NORFOLK & WESTERN will extend the signaling of the electrified division
at Welch, Va., necessitating the installation of 15 one-arm, three
position, upper-quadrant style S, 110-volt, 60-cycle, a.c. bridge signals,
the control of which will be carried through centrifugal type, two-element,
60-cycle, a.c., track and vane type line relays. The installation of a.c.
automatic signals on the Bristol-Pulaski division in Virginia has also been
authorized, 108 one-arm, three position, upper-quadrant, 110-volt,
60-cycle, a.c., style S wound signals; 104 style S bracket signals. and
model 15 vane type relays for both track and line being ordered for this
work. All the above material is being furnished by the Union Switch &
Signal Company, the installation on the electrified division being carried
out by the company's forces.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Moderator: