1950's N&W Steam excursions

Tue Sep 10 16:15:11 EDT 2013

A quick google comes up with this:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mastodon/?page=nw

I have no idea who Steve Llanso is, but in this article he claims the crews called them “Mollies”

Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:08 AM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: 1950's N&W Steam excursions

As I understand it, steam locomotive wheel arrangements were given generic names; just as 2-8-2's were Mikados, but referred to as "Mikes," I believe the 4-8-0 wheel arrangement was named Mastodon and referred to as "Mollies." I have heard this term applied to this wheel arrangement many times but railfans, authors, etc.

There is no doubt however, that on the N&W, they were simply referred to as M's.

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD

_____

Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 5:07:58 PM

Good for you, Jim. The use of the term “mollie” sounds to me like one of those terms used by railfans to appear more “hip”, like referring to a consist of diesels as a “lashup”. That one makes my rump want to chew tobacco . . .

Best -

Ed