more engine class names

Wed Sep 11 08:45:17 EDT 2013

On 9/11/2013 7:38 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Mikado vs. Mike

> As the gentleman has reminded us, the 2-8-2 wheel arrangement commonly

> called Mikados were also called "Mikes" which is a shortened version

> of the Mikado name. What I had neglected to mention was that during

> the anti-Japanese sentiments of World War II, they were called

> McArthur's for patriotic reasons for much of same types of reasons the

> anti-German name changes of many things during the WW 1 era when

> sauerkraut became Liberty Cabbage and a whole host of other things.

> Not all railroads which had the 2-8-2 wheel types used the patriotic

> name, but it was used by many during that time before many of us can

> remember.

And don't forget the MILW had 4-6-4 Baltics and the NYC had 4-8-4
Niagaras. There are probably others out there also.

Take care
Bill

--
== Scale Model Railroad Products ==
== Manufacturer - Retailer - Importer ==

Bill and Diane Wade

B.T.S.
RR 1 Box 141A
Belington, WV 26250

Phone: 304-823-3729
FAX: 304-823-2901
http://www.btsrr.com

We wish you Fair Winds and Following Seas.