4-8-0s (WAS: Class M's, Mollies, class names and the like)

Wed Sep 11 18:26:51 EDT 2013

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that N&W and the SP were the only 4-8-0 users; I think that it was a popular wheel arrangement for a few years around the turn of the twentieth century, but it rapidly fell out of favor afterward. I could speculate as to why, but others on this list are probably more knowledgable. (Heavier rail in response to steel cars made heavy 2-8-0s more practical . . . ?)

They probably lasted so long on N&W because the M was such a satisfactory design (perhaps despite its wheel arrangement). The SP's 95 4-8-0s were built over an 18 year period beginning in 1882 (maybe the first 4-8-0s?) as their heaviest mountain power (like the Ms), but turned out to be ideal for for the lightly-built and hilly Oregon lumber branches in later years. Two of them lasted 67 years. SP had seven subclasses of 4-8-0s. (SP info from Dunscomb's "A Century of SP Steam Locomotives".)

I fell in love with 4-8-0s from watching the N&PBL's M-1s pass my childhood home in 1950.

pete groom