Class M's, Mollies, class names and the like

Fri Sep 13 17:39:30 EDT 2013

Hello Ed,

I'm just trying to tell it like I hear it and you're right, the prevalence
or legitimacy of "working terms" can vary. For me trying to figure these
out depends more than usual on who I ask and how I phrase the question. To
use the term "Mollie" as an example, let's say I ask two enginemen of the
appropriate background, "What engine class ran on the North Fork Hollow
passenger run?" They might turn to each other and one asks, "Mollies?"
The other, "Yeah, Mollies." They turn to me and reply, "M's." Thankfully
(and gratefully), as conversations continue and comfort levels rise,
working terms come up in passing, if not outright.

Each position had its own vernacular and, given those who never heard it on
the railroad, this term did not seem to have wide appeal. However, there
is evidence that it was used to whatever extent on at least three of the
five road divisions. What, if any, is the historical significance?
Instead of trying to judge that, I would rather just make note of it, but
in context.

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013

> Might be true for a small area, but the 396 and 421 finished out their

days

> at Bristol, where they were Ms. I saw the 439 (with its superheater)

> postwar at Bluefield, but didn't think to have my Dad stop so I could ask

> what it was called. We've had olks from Norfolk to Columbus tell us they

> never heard the term.

> EdKing

> Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013

> Pocahontas Division crews referred to them as:

> (electric) motors

> 100's

> 500's

> 600's

> 1100's

> 1200's

> 1400's

> 1700's

> 2000's [twenty-hundreds]

> 2100's

> except for the Class M's.

> Yes, they were Mollies, specifically the 396, 421, and 439, and this is

> straight from those who ran them.

> The name was widely used considering their limited operations late and was

> picked up from the old heads of the time who could have hired on before

the