NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 99, Issue 45 7. Re: N&W excursions of the 1950s (NW Mailing List)

Wed Sep 18 11:56:13 EDT 2013

> 7. Re: N&W excursions of the 1950s (NW Mailing List)

I too was on the July 1959 trip with 1240 and the Y. I was 8 at the
time, and my family rode
along with a friend Don Jameson, whose films I recently acquired. He
has some riding footage, but the runby of the Y6B on
the big trestle has more heads than engine in it unfortunately!!!
He does have some shots of the last run of 611 Roanoke-Bluefield, as
my dad was driving while he shot....some not so good.
He also has some shots in April 1960 at Williamson with one of the
0-8-0's switching the Arrow at the depot. You can see the red Geeps
used as passenger power as well.

We were also on the 1957 trip from Bluefield with the 563 and 578. I
was 6 on that one!!! They did a nice runby out of tunnel onto a
trestle.
Dad has a shot of one of the pacifics heading out to Norton with the
regular passenger train the day after the excursion!!
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com