Whyte; Mollies; etc.

Sat Sep 21 18:12:09 EDT 2013

You might include or reference the various SP articulateds as appropriate:

2-6-6-2 and 4-6-6-2: MM ("Mallet Mogul") as compounds; AM ("Articulated Mogul") as simples;

2-8-8-2: MC ("Mallet Consolidation") as compounds; 2-8-8-2, 2-8-8-4 and 4-8-8-2: AC ("Articulated Consolidation") as simples.

I think all or nearly all of the Ms were simpled in later years.

Admittedly, I've never heard of any of them referred to by the names in quotes, but the derivation of the class names is pretty clear (to me). In later years, all the six-couped engines were gone, so the artics were all called "ACs" (I believe), regardless of the wheel arrangements. You could probably list the 4-8-8-2 as an "AC" or a "Cab Forward" . . .

pete groom (an informed but not fervid SP fan)