Punkin' Vine, Trains 11/12 Questions

Sun Sep 29 09:54:50 EDT 2013

I am scanning and Photoshopping some old negatives for the N&W Archives at Shaffers Crossing. But I need some help with dates.

1. What was the date for the last operation of Trains 11/12 between Roanoke and Winston-Salem? Anyone have an engine number?

2. Several years before the end of Trains 11/12, somewhere around 1961, the N&W operated two gondola cars with seats on Trains 11/12 on a sunny Summer Saturday (wow... how's that for an alliteration?) trip to Winston-Salem and return. Can anyone give me the date for that trip, and the engine number?

-- abram burnett