Takin' Twenty with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

Wed Oct 16 21:34:01 EDT 2013

Tonight I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with seven of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We talked about the upcoming trip to
Victoria, VA on October 26, 2013 for the Annual Virginian Railway Employees
Reunion. It will be on Saturday at noon at the Uptown Coffee Shop. Landon
Gregory will be heading up our arrangements and we plan to have several of
the Brethren attend.

For Show and Tell, I took a recent acquisition of a 1961 hardback copy of
H. Reid's "The Virginian Railway". I discovered when I opened this
precious relic several VGN 19 train orders, and VGN form 1166 "Clearance
and Block Cards". Most were from 1947 and included orders and clearances
from Amigo, Gulf Junction, Black Eagle, Helen, Tams, Elmore, Willabet and
Pimberon. Several referred to "rail lengths" instead of car lengths, so I
asked the Brethren what was the difference or why his was used. Landon
Gregory said that the rail lengths were more accurate when giving distances
and car lengths were used mostly when making up sections of cars. One of
the clearance cards said "train order signal displayed for you" instead of
the train number, and Landon said he had never seen that on one before.
Also in the back of this book, H. Reid acknowledged our own Harry Bundy as
"H. Bundy of Elizabeth City, NC".

The Jewel from the Past is from August 30, 2007: "H. Bundy's noting of the
76 MPH VGN train from Sedley to Sebrell continued the talk about top speed
of the line. It was brought out that employee timetables say maximum speed
limit is 50 MPH. I mentioned that the speed recorders on the Trainmasters
had the overspeed set at 64 MPH and a penalty application of the brakes
occurred if that speed was exceeded. I was reminded that the steam engines
did not have the same 'set up"". I asked R. R. McDaniel why 64 MPH was the
overspeed standard. He said : "I think it was an FRA regulation"

Then there's this from Bob Glass: "Why some men have a dog and no wife".
The later you are, the more excited your dog is to see you. Dogs don't
notice if you call them by another dog's name. Dogs like it if you leave a
lot of things on the floor. A dog's parents never visit. Dogs agree that
you have to raise your voice to get your point across. Dogs find you
amusing when you're drunk. Dogs like to go hunting and fishing. A dog
will not wake you up at night to ask, "If I died, would get another dog?"
If a dog had babies, you can put an ad in the paper and give them away. A
dog will let you put a studded collar on it without calling you a pervert.
If a dog smells another dog on you, they don't get mad, they just think
it's interesting. And if a dog leaves, it won't take half of your stuff.
To test this theory: "Lock your wife and your dog in a garage for an
hour. Then open it and see who's happy to see you!

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

CDXCIII