World War II Steam Locomotive Query: Stationary Power Production

Wed Oct 23 20:45:05 EDT 2013

Yes of course they were. Pardon my stone fingers. Dave, you were long gone by the time I arrived there from the USAEOCR in Ft. Belvoir having been branch transferred to TC and the 714th after completing TOAC. Myself and fellow graduate of 22H69 in August '69 Chuck Engleberger, were assigned to HHC and Charlie respectively. Nice to spend two years in the States - he and I both went to RVN. The failure was in the winter of 70, February if I remember right.
And attached for your appreciation is #607 coming over the trestle with the James River in the background (photo by SP4 Lawrence Rundle, 27 Jan 70) with the "kiddie train" in tow (you remember those, right?). The TC OCR was closed by the time I got there.....
I have the builder's plate from one of the diesels but the bells and plates from the steamers disappeared pretty quickly.

Ed Svitil

Norfolk & Western Railway