Last runs of J-611

Tue Nov 19 12:22:37 EST 2013

I flew down to Birmingham, Alabama to be on the last public excursion
behind this mechanical monster on Saturday, December 3, 1994. We went to
Chattanooga and back that day. Stayed up in the sound/recording car just a
couple behind the engine most of the way back, recording mentally only, as
I knew my opportunity for such an adventure might not occur again in my
lifetime. I can still hear that whistle, as I did all the way back to
Birmingham that day. Said Hi to Jim Bistline, and many others that day on
board and greeted the engine crew with a hearty but soaking wet "thanks"
when we returned that night to Birmingham; around midnight.

The cloudburst and thunder -- were they a sign from the heavens above of
the Almighty's disapproval of what was being done? You decide -- The words
on the side of cab that day might indicate such - "Forgive them for they
know not what they do."

Four days later I chased and even caught it occasionally on film, the sad
little train as it crossed the bridge at Alta Vista, Va, hearing its
beautiful, melodious chime whistle for several minutes as it approached and
headed north to home and retirement in Roanoke. I watched as the TV news
crew boarded into the cab at Kinney and as they whistled off and the
signals changed heading west, the race across Blue Ridge was on. Saw it
chased it and watched it as a few others also did that day 19 years ago.

The sad train approached slowly in its death march to the Roundhouse and
getting stuffed and mounted like an extinct zoo animal. I followed it part
of the way between the station and the RH -- I didn't need to see the end
of its last breath of life. That was December 7, 1994.

Now 19 years later will it be revived and ressussitated (sic) from the
expired, much like Jurassic Park's extinct species? But will the current
attempts and plans be successful in this case? We have the proper DNA
sequence to effect the necessary deeds and the entire world will be safe in
this case at least. Do I wax a bit nostalgic here with memories; you betcha.

Save the Queen, God save the Queen; hear hear.

One who remembers and has not forgotten.

Bob Cohen