Roanoke Track Work

Wed Jan 29 23:00:44 EST 2014

With the exception of the new crossovers on the Shenandoah line next
to the Foundry, all of the recent work has been the installation of
new signals.

One of the new tracks will pass straight through the north leg of the
existing signal bridge that is just west of Jefferson Street.
Therefore it is my belief that the major track work will not begin
until the new signaling system is in place.

They have started work on the signals at the edges and been working
towards the center, ending under the rail cam. They have been
trenching and laying cable behind the O WInston Link Museum since
around Thanksgiving.

Another measure if progress are the signals laying down in a staging
yard just west of 10th Street. There are only 4 signals waiting to be
installed. This past week a new signal bridge (ahem "cantilever" :-)
) arrived at the staging yard.

I have been taking pictures but there is not much to see except
ditches and cables.

The rail cam will have a front-row seat to some of the most
significant changes to the tracks in years.

Ron Davis

At 04:07 PM 1/29/2014, NW Mailing List wrote:

>I will admit that I haven't followed this project extremely close,

>but mainly through Ron Davis' excellent photo coverage over the past

>few months.

>However, I believe that most of the work to date has been signal

>installation and all that that encompasses, not counting the removal

>of the old passenger platform behind the former station (OWLM).

>While the signal construction work is progressing, none of them has

>been "cut in", or activated. That's because the tracks are still

>intact in their original alignment, and therefore still need the

>original signals in order to operate.

>I have heard (and I'm sticking my neck out a little because I am not

>privy to any special info) that the major track work will begin

>sometime in March, or there about.

>Jeff Sanders

---