Barriger Library Photos................

Thu Feb 13 11:36:25 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Jim wrote:

> The Barringer photos are great, but I don't see any information as to location/date. Am I missing something or if not would any of our historians be willing to apply their knowledge to provide some of this information? I see markings indicating there may be as many as 140 of these shots and I for one would really appreciate the where/when and any other pertinent stuff.

Anyone with a Yahoo account has access to the Flickr photostream and
can add comments. Log into Yahoo or click the "Log in" link at the top
of the page. Once logged in, you can add comments to any photo. There
are already several of us who have been adding information to photos,
mainly in the Virginian set. Most all of the photos are reversed, but
the Barriger folks have been keeping tabs and are flipping images.
Some locations are easy to pick out even in the reversed image, others
take downloading the file, flipping it horizontally, then examining it
to find clues.

For those who do comment, please add the location (including state)
and the direction of the view (east, west, timetable north, etc.) and
as much detail as possible (I've reviewed some of my posts to add
more). If there is already information for a picture, if you can add
to it (or make a correction), please do so.

According to the St. Louis Mercantile Library, Barriger had 15,000
negatives in his collection, most taken on various inspection trips he
took in his various railroad roles. Those that were on nitrate film
have been copied so the image is preserved. It seems to be a
collection one has to keep checking as the folks in that special
collections department keep adding more and more.

Bruce in snowbound Blacksburg