Cabin Car Numbering Sequence

Sun Mar 2 15:38:31 EST 2014

Abe:
Like most any renumbering scenario, the cabs were renumbered as time and/or shopping required and allowed. The cabs first began to be renumbered to the 17XXX series in the latter part of 1907, continuing into 1908. The first cabs, 1-450, not by any means a complete group were variously renumbered in the 17000-17227 series. Wrecks and fires, had taken the toll on wooden cabooses over time, and accordingly 219 cars existed, all of which were 4 wheel bobber types, which I am sure would have been a real joy to ride at speed.

Beginning about June of 1924, the addition of a "5" was made to the numbering system, making them 517XXX series cars.

The CF class of cabooses began being built in August 1914, these marked a radical departure, as these were larger, 8 wheel cabs and as built with a series number 18000-18355, between March and May of 1924, they received a "5" in front of the number to bring them to the 518 series.

This comes from Bob Bowers "Cabooses of the Norfolk and Western" and cross referencing equipment ledger copies that I have as well as some other files. The earliest details of cabooses on the N&W is really tough to research, you have tiny pieces of records here and there, Bob did a great job of pulling as much possible together, and I highly recommend the book.

Ken Miller