Caretta Branch - Abandoned Signal

Tue Mar 4 14:21:34 EST 2014

This is the automatic advance (or approach) signal for the home signal a
short block ahead at the junction with the Dry Fork Branch. The nearby
grade crossing (mostly) necessitates the short block and the signal's use
as a hold-out. A Stop and Proceed here indicates a Stop and Stay at the
junction, but allows movement ahead to the home signal without a violation
if the rear can clear the road crossing (hold-out signals usually display
Stop and Stay). In this branch line situation, with a permissive indication
at the junction ahead, a Clear suffices as an Approach Diverging, making
the signal act much like a repeater.

Grant Carpenter

> Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014

> I have a question regarding this old signal on the Caretta Branch. Does

anyone know if this was the home signal for the branch's junction with the
Dry Fork Branch main or a distant signal? Someone had asked me why it only
had aspects for "stop" and "clear". I thought it would've had more
available aspects than what it shows.