Caretta Branch - Abandoned Signal

Wed Mar 5 12:33:29 EST 2014

The Caretta Branch was a slow-speed spur to a single tipple about 2 miles
to end of track and would not normally rate an approach signal except for
road crossings about 1/3 of a mile from the junction. Caretta was the
largest producer on the Dry Fork and could deliver 150 loads a day. Third
Dry Fork worked it daylight plus a night job when needed and could easily
block the crossings if stopped at the junction waiting for a signal. Ready
to start back to Auville and holding clear of the crossings, they would
call the dispatcher (a phone was here and at the junction) and wait for a
clear on this signal, knowing they would not have to stop at the junction.
The entire spur was slow-speed with no register / second movements (barely
room for one movement) and no need for track circuits or other
aspects--simply a go/no go hold-out signal, in effect repeating the home
signal, to protect the crossings.

Grant Carpenter