N&W AC Signaling in 1913

Wed Mar 26 14:49:28 EDT 2014

Oh my, Abram...

"Insufficient data." If you're talking about high voltage transmission
lines, trust me, they are three phase and do not require "a wire to furnish a
return path for the electrons to the generating stations." The three
conductors of the three-phase line already do that.

Especially in rural areas, it is common for the distribution lines to use
single wire with earth return. These lines are at much, much lower
voltages than transmission lines. Properly engineered, installed and maintained,
they have no "social consequences." If you think the current you're
reading is a sign of an issue, by all means have it checked out. However, water
pipe corrosion from a.c. currents is a very uncommon issue. Galvanic
corrosion from dissimilar metals, yes, but that's a d.c. phenomenon.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 3/26/2014 1:13:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,