Peavine

Sun Mar 30 15:39:17 EDT 2014

Terry -

The section from Kenova to Portsmouth was not part of the Peavine, which ended at Vera Junction just west of the old Portsmouth passenger station. It was/is the Kenova District (Tadpole) over which all the NS’s westbound coal is funneled. It now is a route for stack trains, several tunnels having been enlarged or eliminated.

I don’t know what the figures are today, but when I worked there back in another lifetime, roughly 2500 loads of coal per day (5 days per week) used it, with an equal number of empties back east.

Yep. It’s still active.

EdKing