Subject: Last Steam Days on the Arrow

Mon Apr 7 22:38:52 EDT 2014

Greg: While your conjecture makes sense, there is one other factor that could affect the date. In steam, the engines on mainline trains were always changed at Roanoke. If they followed the same practice with diesels, the westbound Arrow entering Roanoke on the 18th could have been headed by diesels that went east the day before. Likewise, the last steam into Roanoke on #25 on the 17th might have been replaced by diesels for the Roanoke-Cincinnati leg. We need more documentation than the two photos of #25 into Roanoke on the 17th and 18th.

Jim Nichols

Sent: Monday, April 7, 2014 7:33 PM
Subject: Subject: Last Steam Days on the Arrow

Jim,  The dates you mentioned sound  about right to me.  However if the leased units
came from Virginia(nearer Roanoke than Cincinnati), would it not make sense that the WB
Arrow that day to Cincinnati would be leased units, while the train that started in Cincy on
July 18th would have been steam(cause no diesels were to Cincy yet on the first Arrow),
and perhaps at Roanoke, the leased units took the train continued on to Norfolk!!  This
is conjecture on my part.  There should be some documentation of how this all took place.
Greg Scholl