Subject: Re: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping

Tue Apr 8 15:18:47 EDT 2014

Yep, lots of N&W steam was scrapped at DD Jones or Moskowitz's scrap yard
along River Road down river from Cincinnati. Many, many 2-8-8-2's as well
as VGN stuff, Clinchfield and a lot of other rr's. I have photos of Y's,
all classes, K-1's, M's, lots of S's as well as VGN berks' and Mallets. I
can state with certainty that 2037 and 2080 were scrapped at Moscowitz's as
I have parts off of them from there. I don't have photo confirmation of
J's or K-2's like Greg seems to have.

As to E-2 classes, I haven't seen anything on those but wouldn't be
surprised to find some came to Cincinnati to be scrapped.

These scrapped units seemed to moved by the East End and West End shifters
as needed. They came from Portsmouth and were frequently set off at
McDermott for movement west by the East end shifter. These seem to have
been set off at Sardinia, then were picked up by the West End shifter for
movement west. Some were set off at Afton for a while.

>From Clare , they would have been pulled 'up the Hill' to Berry yard and

transferred over to the Big Four/NYC at the Ivorydale transfer tracks by the
terminal shifters. From there they were pulled down the Big Four and B&O on
trackage rights to Storr Yard (B&O) thence to Riverside Yard (NYC) then to
the scrap yard. The NYC had tracks into both yards.

Freidmans Scrap Yard was east of STAR Yard in Portsmouth- New Boston really-
and scrapped a lot of N&W steam as well. Class J 601 was definitely
scrapped there.

Gary Rolih
Cincinnati

---