500 Series Pacific's scrapping

Wed Apr 9 12:47:54 EDT 2014

According to Prince, 547 was "Dism." 4-1951

Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping

What does Bixby's data or any other source say about when and/or where E2b Pacific # 547 was scrapped?

>Thanks

>Dave Gooding

PM

>Subject: Re: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping

>D.J. Joseph  Company in Cincinnati cut up locomotives for the N&W

>563 could have been your loco. but  Bixby's data says Scraped Roanoke 12/58

>Larry Evans

>Kenova, WV

>"There's the sun, there's the moon, there's the air we

breathe, and

>there's the Rolling Stones"  Keith Richards

>>According to my father's notes, 563 was retired 12-58. I have no other information, so don't know where the scrapper was; but most engines that went west ended up at Friedmans Scrap Yard in Portsmouth. Why one would go west through Batavia is a mystery. BTW: 563 and 578 were the last ones (by a long shot).

>>Jim Nichols

>>Sent: Monday, April 7, 2014 3:18 PM

>>Subject: 500 Series Pacific's scrapping

>>Between 1958-60 how many N&W pacifics

would have been left to scrap.

>>We have a movie clip of one coming through

Batavia headed west, presumably to scrap.

>>However, 578 went to

Columbus.  As I recall back in 1957 we rode that trip from Bluefield
with

>>563 and 578, so I was wondering if those were the last two and

perhaps the one we saw was 563?

>>Does anyone know where these pacifics

were in fact scrapped, and did 578 travel on the Peavine(unlikely)?

>>Greg

Scholl