N&W Roanoke: Form CR-019, 1975

Wed May 7 20:25:49 EDT 2014

Abram,

Very interesting; do you know the name/item number of the "brown pocket sized book" that contained all the numbers?  I inquired about this directly to NS at one time but nobody knew what I was asking about.

I've seen a similar book for B&O, a form 6 I think it is called, and it is a wealth of information regarding the rail served customers in a given division, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:10:50 PM
Subject: N&W Roanoke: Form CR-019, 1975

Attached is a PDF showing a both-side scan of a form called CR-019, issued in 1975.  CR stood for Car Record, and 019 was the particular item number.  This was the report Conductors were required to prepare when placing or pulling cars at industrial sidings, so that the Car Record Office could keep track of movement.

What is interesting is the list of patrons/sidings on the reverse side of the form.

In previous times, each major terminal had a brown pocket-size book with bristle-board covers listing all its patrons/siding, and the Siding Number for each (e.g. Roanoke Ice & Cold Storage on the Roanoke Belt Line was for generations Siding 96.)  I think the last such book for the Roanoke switching limits was issued in the very early 1960s.  The forms CR-019 were issued on pads of pages printed white sheets, glued at the top, and perforated so they could be torn off the pad.  Conductors recorded the seal numbers for box cars, but not for covered hoppers (although there was no special instruction exempting them from this.)

When the CR-019 depicted in the attached PDF came out in 1975, we workers were somewhat taken aback by the fact that the N&W had issued something less than a professionally printed document from Stone Printing, as these new forms were obviously hand lettered.  Also, with this document the siding numbers all changed to four digits, which is probably indicative of the age of computerized reporting and record keeping.

Does anyone remember where the City Stables Siding was at Roanoke, east of Randolph Street?  I'm curious but can't recall.

-- abram burnett

Sent to you from my Telegraph Key...

Moderator :