K2 with black tender

Mon Jul 14 10:37:31 EDT 2014

Roger: to pull up an individual photo in the Archives: go to "advanced search" put the number in the box labeled "locator number" and hit "search". Works for me!   Jim Nichols

Jim,

Could you please tell me how to pull up this picture in the archives? I've tried every way I know to access the collection with no results.

Thanks,
Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

Pat Ryan has called my
attention to a photo in the archives under locator number
NW01808 Which shows a streamlined K2 or K2a with an all
black tender. Examining the photo I note that the main
rods have been removed, no locomotive number is visible, and
the tender is either a 16 or an 18A. There are two
K1's behind it. All this leads me to the opinion that
these engines are in a scrap line, and for some reason the
K2 has had her 22 class tender swapped before scrapping. In
order to move her in a train, she had to have a tender, and
this one was available. What is not clear is what became of
her 22 class tender. This late in steam, there were still
Y's and A's in service which could use a 22 class
tender; but what became of the original tender of the
recipient? Could this be a
  direct swap with a Y3a? Makes you wonder! Anyway, I
don't think the streamlined K2 was paired with this
tender while in service.
Jim Nichols
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----