NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 110, Issue 22

Mon Jul 14 21:10:53 EDT 2014

http://www.railroadsignals.us/signals/nwcpl/

this will give you a good start.

The N&W signals were all yellow color first, but started modding them to
color lights removing the center light on most.
The rules for the aspects fairly stayed the same (but various rules and
interpretations over time changed..or changed back from a change, heh)

If you understand basic signaling the N&W signals basically follow the
general universal signal rules of simple color lights but with a variety
of differrences. The number of heads and lights on the head are
distinctive to what the signaling was needed for the location, if an
aspect was not needed, no lights were provided to display it. So you see
some of the signals with the lower head having say 3 angled lights, then
there's another with the full circle back and a full head of lights.
Call it efficiency of need, don't need it, don't light it.

Do not confuse the Pennsyvania signals with the N&W signals, tho they
use the same head designs, the rules are quite differrent. (for modeling
purposes you can buy position light signals and they function both for
Pennsy and N&W)

-Lynn-