Signals for dummies

Sat Jul 19 12:37:26 EDT 2014

Carl:  I assume you are not a regular subscriber/reader of the mailing list
as we had a very useful discussion about the use of signals and the
significant variations in a long series of emails last summer, fall and
winter.  IF you can go back and read those emails again....... via  a
search.

As to aspects and rules you can use a railroad rule book which has all of
the aspects in it- and note that the rules and aspects change over time, so
get the rule book covering your desired time period.  We sell a version of
signal aspects and rules in our Commissary.

The most important fact of the signal discussion to my mind is that the
signals are not anything like simple automotive traffic signals in
application- stop, go, caution.  Railroad signals are intended to provide
sufficient train spacing for safe braking as well as some direction
information and/or  safe speed information to the train crew (depending on
what version of rules are being used). The railroad signals apply to a
specific  section of railroad and how the railroad intends to operate upon
it.  Thus, taking example signals from the real world/prototype and applying
it to a/your model railroad will not quite work as one should design the
signal system and aspects to fit to the way the modeler intends to run his
model railroad.  Also, railroads make numerous variations to their
'standard' way of doing things as dictated by the expense of altering
signals, line side services (wiring, pole line, relays and such) and install
signal systems that meet their immediate needs while maybe not necessarily
meeting the universal agreement as to proper signaling.  They get the job
done as long as the crew is qualified for that district and understands what
to do and what the particular aspect means- that's why they get qualified!
Qualification is important in territories where existing signal systems from
predecessor railroads may be in use and the crew needs to understand, say
ex-NKP, ex-PRR and old N&W signals in the same district.

I'll let other reply to you question about the Tacoma signals.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

NW Mailing List