Big Stoney RR - Waitesville Incline

Mon Jul 28 19:06:44 EDT 2014

Thanks Fred,

Your example seems to be the most logical way the railroad and saw mill could have gotten into John's Creek Valley.

Gordon Hamilton
  Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 11:01 AM
  Subject: Re: Big Stoney RR - Waitesville Incline

  The Hassinger Lbr Co of SW Virginia brought their equipment in by horse and wagon. I've seen photos of other regional companies doing the same.

  Fred Waskiewicz

    On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Gordon wrote:

    > I  long have had a question about the Tri State Lumber Co. operations in
    > Johns Creek Valley served by the narrow gauge incline railway over Potts
    > Mountain to Ray's Siding in Potts Creek Valley.  That is, how were the Shay
    > locomotive(s), c. 4 miles of narrow gauge track, log cars, and a saw mill
    > transported into the isolated Johns Creek Valley?
    >
    > All historical accounts seem to dodge this matter, but maybe that is because
    > there are no surviving records.
    >
    > Do you, or anyone else, have any info on this?

    There might be some tidbits in the extensive list of references in the
    journal article, but I haven't dug into them to know. When I was
    researching in the letter files about the construction of the Potts
    Valley line while the archives were here at Virginia Tech, I didn't
    run across any references to the Tri State Lumber Co., though that
    operation might have come after the line went into service. My notes
    end in 1910, with most of the correspondence I reviewed covering
    extension of the line to Potts Creek and dealings with the Virginia
    Iron, Coal & Coke Co.

    Bruce in Blacksburg