48 years on the Pocahontas

Mon Aug 4 08:33:09 EDT 2014

Hello, all!  I finally got off my duff (yes, Gordon, you may comment!) and
scanned two (2) articles my great grandfather, Alfred H. Hock, wrote of his
time on the Pocahontas.  These are from the March and April, 1945, issues
of Railroad Magazine.

I think you will enjoy his personal account of his time on the N&W as he
moved up through the ranks and became an engineer of both steam and
electric locomotives.

The Hock's had three (3) children.  A daughter, Nell, after graduating from
WVU as a teacher, ended up in Man, WV.  She was my grandmother.  Another
daughter, Myrtle, was educated in the fashion industry.  She stayed in
Bluefield and was the owner of Bradley's (a women's shop).  Their son,
Charles, ended up in Augusta, GA.  He was a doctor (internal medicine).  He
addition to his practice he taught at the Medical College of Georgia.

The articles are 3.5 MB in size.  Enjoy!

Kim Hensley
Huntsville, AL

Moderator: