Farmville Line Questions

Wed Sep 17 23:54:30 EDT 2014

Harry -

Thank you very much for all the great information.  I will look over it in more detail this weekend.

Jeff Hawkins
  Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:12 AM
  Subject: Re: Farmville Line Questions

  Jeff:
  One thing you gotta remember --
  although the Farmville Belt Line
  was Traffic Control territory, the
  "old" line was single track, automatic
  block, meaning that the turnouts to
  the sidings were not interlocked, but
  hand-thrown. The junctions of the "old"
  line and the Belt Line at Pamplin and
  Burkeville were interlocked.

  From Norfolk Div. Time Table #7 eff.
  07/24/1932, these were the sidings listed
  on the "old" line:
  Moran - 5626'
  Rice  - 9289'
  High Bridge - 5718'
  Farmville - 2633' and 2433'
  Tuggle- 5058'
  Prospect - 8420'
  Elam  - 4478'

  The east end of the siding at Prospect
  was almost exactly at M.P. N-160 --
  that's around the two degree curve east
  of the burned Prospect depot.

  There was an oddity on the "old" line
  west of Farmville --there were 12 consecutive
  "short miles" from MP N-150 (Farmville) to
  MP N-162 west of Prospect. For example,
  from M.P. N-160 to MP N-161 at Prospect, the
  distance is only 4388.4 feet, so I guess that
  puts a special significance on the mile posts.

  N&W practice was that all passenger trains
  would use the "old" line.  All eastbound
  freights and some westbound freights would
  use the Belt Line.   In the late 50s, a
  derailment on the Belt Line meant that all
  trains would use the "old" line.  There was
  a train order issued for two opposing time
  freights to meet at Prospect.  When they got
  to the meeting point, both trains were too
  long to clear.             Harry Bundy