Directions on the Tug Fork Branch

Wed Sep 24 23:11:46 EDT 2014

Relative to the Buchanan Branch..........

I've had the pleasure of spending a lot of time railfanning on the Buchanan Branch over the last couple of years with my friend Chase Freeman from Grundy.  In learning about the history and operations of/on the Buchanan Branch I came to realize that originally, as is the standard practice Ed mentions in his note on the other branches, eastbound was moving toward the junction with the mainline....... in the Buchanan Branch's case this was from Grundy to the mainline at Devon.  Westbound was going away from mainline at Devon toward Grundy.

Following the completion of Blair Tunnel and the Wyatt Cutoff in the late 1960's (the Cutoff connected the Buchanan Branch by way of Dismal and Grundy directly with the Clinch Valley line at Richlands) the overall eastbound and westbound directions on the Branch were reversed. (per N&W Pocahontas Division ETT's prior to and after the Wyatt Cutoff was put into service). With the Cutoff in service eastbound coal/coke off the Buchanan Branch moved over the shorter route through Richlands and Bluefield while westbound coal/coke moved to the junction with the mainline at Devon and from there to Williamson.  Today due to operational challenges due created by the severe eastbound grade on the Wyatt Cutoff virtually all loaded coal and coke trains from the Buchanan Branch move through Devon (eastbound and westbound).

Ed Painter born in Bluefield - from Narrows, VA - living in Dahlonega, GA