Directions on the Tug Fork Branch

Thu Sep 25 16:04:56 EDT 2014

_/*"Relative to the most recent discussions all moves on the N&W were
either eastbound or westbound, no northbound or southbound.*/__/*"*/_

Well, knock me down and call me Shorty! And for forty years I thought
that I was going north to Shenandoah and south to Roanoke, south to
Winston-Salem and back north to Roanoke!
Who told you that?

I think you will find in the timetables that NORTHBOUND/Eastbound trains
were even numbers while SOUTHBOUND/Westbound trains were odd numbers.
Also, signals were numbered the same way. When engineers blew in the
flagman, when blowing in from the north or east - 5 longs, when blowing
in from the south or west - 4 longs.

Jimmy Lisle