Vision Statement and Resources

Thu Oct 16 17:46:28 EDT 2014

Concerning the Vision Statement

Some interesting observations have been made and put forth and the discussion may prove beneficial.

I think however to idlely dismiss "as resources permit" as not pertinent is not reasonable.  Whether the Board changes "Central Appalachian Region" to Transglobal or whatever the fact will remain the same; "as resources permit" will still rule the Archives.

Why?

Resources means (usually) Capital and Labor.  Yes NWHS has Capital (limited) and Labor (even more limited) but neither is abundant.  Certainly not enough to cover N&W, VGN, NKP, Wabash all at the same time, especially labor.  There is a LOT of material still to be sorted and cataloged just in the N&W and VGN realm - probably a decades worth.  Most of this labor is done by a cadre of 20 guys who come by once a month or more.  Some come from the DC/Baltimore area, one from Atlanta, some from the Carolinas. All come on their own dime: meals, gasoline, lodging etc.  Some come to work on specific topics (I am one who is a VGN interest guy), others are more open to any assignment and some come to do research and do hardly any of the heavy lifting required to grow the collection.  Though I used to come monthly from Virginia Beach I am very limited now as I live in Florida (the missus has stated that I can come 3 time a year from now on).  But I come primarily to work on items that interest me.  Yes on many a day I pitched in where needed outside my interest area but if I was asked to spend a large amount of time on a area I had no interest in (say Moberly, Missouri for example) I may not come as often.  Thus this Labor resource is limited.  Also the labor pool is aging.  Yes there has been BOD discussion of paid help, or interns or any other possible solution.  But the best answer is. COME ON DOWN!  All hands and needed and welcome.

Again, regardless of the outcome of the Vision statement discussion - resources DO matter and Labor is always welcomed.

Tom Salmon